Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Orange Bows

It's the end of the year, so tomorrow, the upcoming 6th graders in our school are being assigned to Houses. If you've been following, earlier I posted Elliot's House crest (Go Orange!).
Well, they are letting us wear house colors, so I decided I want to wear an orange bow.
Problem is I don't have one. But I have orange cloth, so of course I decided to make one.

Since I've never done this before, I found a really nice video to make it.  Just follow all of the steps and it should turn out fine! The only thing I changed is that I folded over the longer edges of the cloth inward so that I didn't have a frayed edge along the side of my bow. I had difficulties holding the edge in the whole time, but once it's sewed in place, it's not as hard.  I don't usually mess with cloth.
(Yes, the first time it took me a half an hour with a bad needle, but it gets easier the more you do it.)
To put it in my hair I slid a bobby pin through the back of the center loop, and it held up pretty fine. I also suggest sewing over hot glue, because it holds longer, unless you want a quick project or have no needles.

Here is my Bow:

So cute!

I really enjoyed making it, and I'm considering making ones for all the girls in my House next year.
Girl power!

(Update 9/2/12)
I've finished nearly all of the bows for the girls in my class! I also made magnets to go with them for their lockers! (The small bow can be cut 2"x5" or adjust as you wish.)


Magnets Print


No comments:

Post a Comment